Saturday, April 23, 2011

Viokase - Digestive Enzymes

Lets talk Digestive Enzymes

When Rumble first came home from his surgery, he was eating like a crazy person and I was super glad.  He was pooping alot but that was to be expected.  When we went back for his first post-op appointment, he had lost weight.  WHAT?  I was ticked.  How could he have eaten so much and lost weight?  Something had to be wrong.  That's when I was reminded about the digestive enzymes. 

Another reason I was upset is because the vet didn't have any for me to take home with me.  They don't have enough patients on the enzymes to keep it in stock.  So, here I was, my cat had just survived surgery, you knew half of his pancreas was gone, but you didn't order me any digestive enzymes on the off chance that he might need them.  I was furious.  The vet closed at 5pm and it was already 5:30 but I made her and everyone else sit there while I called my vet back home and ordered some enzymes through him.  It took awhile because he had to call around and hunt some down but everyone could see how furious I was so they sat there and waited.  That was probably best for their safety :)

So it' an easy to use powder that you just sprinkle on their food and it helps with their absorption, right?   WRONG!

It's also called Pancrea Powder or the name brand I eventually bought was called Viokase and it is exactly what everyone is thinking it is...animal pancreas ground up into a fine powder (don't inhale near it EVER).  As I would imagine, the powder tastes horrible and Rumble is refusing to eat.  We buy him two types of dry food:  Nutro and Blue Buffalo.  So we decided to switch to wet food and see if that would mask the taste.  We spent big bucks on those big expensive wet foods and he still wouldn't eat it.  So we went for the cheap stuff, Whiskas Pouch Wet Food. AND he loves it!

Whiskas® Pouch FoodWe think the smell is strong enough to mask the odor of the enzymes.  The instructions say to sprinkle the powder on the food and wait 20 minutes.  This gives the enzymes time to start breaking the food down even before it is consumed.  It's a pretty cool chemical reaction to watch, but Rumble doesn't like it because the smell of the food is gone by then.  Our vet says as long as the powder is going down with the food, she's happy.   So, now we sprinkle the powder onto the food, directly in his dish, mix it up well, and immediately let him eat. 

The next day, Rumble has a solid poop for the first time in a month.  The rule of thumb with prescriptions is, order before you run out.  Don't forget this!  If you run out and have to wait for your next order to come in, then remember that everything he eats will be of no nutritional value to him what so ever and he will virtually be starving.

I feed Rumble anytime he appears hungry and he eats pretty willingly.  As he's gained some weight, he doesn't immediately eat and he doesn't finish it all but it is all gone by the time dinner rolls around.  He eats it all eventually.  He needs to nearly double his weight for him to be back to what he was a year ago.  I want him to be fat and happy!

No comments:

Post a Comment